free application for federal student aid overview

free application for federal student aid overview

Financial Aid Overview

Financing post-secondary education is one of the biggest investments you can make in your life. Artistic Academy of Hair Design is committed to providing assistance to prospective and current students wishing to apply for financial aid. Financial aid is available to eligible part-time and full-time students matriculated in one of our programs.

Financial aid awards are offered upon financial need, availability of funds, and maintaining satisfactory academic progress. In addition, a student may not be in default and/or may not owe a refund on any Title IV and/or HEA Loans and grants.

Contact the Financial Aid Office:

301 Gibraltar Ave, Suite 1-A, Morris Plains, NJ 07950
Phone: (973) 656-1401 Option 2 • Fax: (973) 538-6642 • E-mail: scedano@artisticacademy.com

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Applying for Financial Aid

1. Obtain your FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov/. Students and a parent/legal guardian (if student is dependent) must obtain an individual id. An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.
2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. The FAFSA is available at  https://fafsa.ed.gov/ and may be filed as early as January 1st each year. A finalized tax return for those required to file is necessary to successfully submit the application and obtain an accurate estimate.

Federal School Code: 016954

The Artistic Academy of Hair Design • Route 10 E, 301 Gibraltar Drive • Morris Plains, NJ 07950

All candidates who file the FAFSA are automatically considered for funds which they are eligible for at Artistic Academy of Hair Design. Your financial aid package will list separately each type of aid – such as scholarships, grants, loans, and amount of each. Aid comes from a variety of sources – federal, school and private.

Each type of aid has its own eligibility requirements. Some are based entirely on financial need; others are based on academic merit, or a combination of both financial need and academic merit.

  • Scholarships and grants are “gift” money and do not need to be repaid.
  • Federal loans must be repaid once the student graduates, withdraws or drops below half-time status.

Who May Apply

According to the US Department of Education, to be eligible to receive federal financial aid you must be:

  • • U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
  • • U.S. Permanent Resident - You are eligible noncitizen if you have a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C, also known as a green card.
  • • If you’re not in one of the above categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services showing one of the following:
    • - Refugee
    • - Asylum Granted
    • - Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)
    • - Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
    • - Parolee (You must be paroled in the USA for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intend to become a permanent resident or U.S. citizen.
  • • Have Battered Immigrant Status
  • • Have a T-Visa or your parents hold a T-1 Visa.

You must also:

  • • Have a valid Social Security number unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.
  • • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have completed homeschooling. If you don’t, you may still be eligible for federal student aid if you were enrolled in college or career school prior to July 1, 2012. Go to http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/basic-criteria for additional information.
  • • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
  • • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • • Register (or already be registered) with Selective Service, if you are a male and not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study). If you have such a conviction, you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are eligible for aid or partially eligible for aid.
You are NOT an eligible noncitizen and cannot receive federal student aid if:
  • • You have only a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence” (I-171 or I-464),
  • • You are in the U.S. on an F-1 or F-2 student visa, or on a J-1 or J-2 Exchange Visitor Visa, or
  • • You hold a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations).